One month to go…
The key to a successful moving day is organisation.
- Book your move with BMS Transport in advance to guarantee availability. Then book the day off work.
- Get hold of some boxes and start packing early – if you’ve got a free weekend, start boxing up the belongings you hardly ever use first.
- Move room-by-room – take on one room at a time and label every box you pack.
- Sort as-you-go – if you don’t need it, donate it to charity, sell it or throw it. Moving to a new house is the perfect opportunity for a fresh start.
- Pack light – you’re going to have a lot of boxes to move so don’t overload boxes with heavy items you’re going to struggle to carry.
One week to go…
Let people know your new address. Notify your:
- Utilities providers
- Council (tax)
- Phone provider
- Broadband provider
- Insurance companies
- Redirect your mail
Top tip: Check through your bank statement – anyone who you’ve got a Direct Debit with will need to know your new address.
One day to go…
The big day is finally here
- Have you got your new keys? Or is someone meeting you at your new property?
- Make a note of your meter readings and write them down in your diary.
- Print out or draw up a floor plan of your new house then let your removals company know which items need to go where. Consider numbering the rooms and boxes.
- Do you have children or pets? Drop them off with a family or friend for the day if possible so you can focus on the move.
- Pack up some food and drink for moving day – it’s hungry work so have sandwiches and snacks to hand. Don’t forget to leave the kettle somewhere accessible too.
- Give your former property a thorough clean so it’s ready for the new occupiers.