You don’t need to be daunted by the thought of downsizing. There comes a time when most people’s lifestyles change and their current home no longer suits their needs.
When children ‘grow-up’ and move to university or into their own family home, their unused bedrooms often become storage spaces.
Aside from children flying the nest, you may need to downsize from a house to a bungalow for health reasons or to release funds for retirement. Whatever your reason, we can help make the move straightforward…
- Write a list of the items you cannot live without; then consider clearing out the rest.
- Three months before you plan to move, begin clearing out jam-packed cupboards and overflowing drawers.
- Measure your new rooms and compare them to your current house. Is their enough space to comfortably house your furniture? If not, it needs to go.
- If you have a garage or shed, begin here. They can then be used as storage areas when you pack away belongings from the house.
- Do you need 20 cups and saucers, pots and pans? Clear out the excess.
- If you’re struggling to decide what should stay or go; for the average downsize, keep only one-third to one-half of your belongings.
- When you’re ready to pack, keep organised by labelling by room; use a coordinating colour sticker or label numerically. Read our packing tips blog for more inspiration.
Many of our customers tell us that packing is a headache they would prefer to avoid as it can be time consuming and requires a degree of planning if done properly. Our staff are experts in this area and we can guarantee the job will be done cleanly, swiftly and most importantly leaving your valuables in one piece.
We can provide short or long-term storage for your household items in a clean and secure facility. If you have a space of time between moving from your old home and moving into your new property, we can store your items during this time. When your new property is ready, we can bring your items out of storage and continue with your move.